Use the right hand sidebar navigation to skip ahead in 50 year blocks.
- 1803– First European contact at Studley Park – Charles Grimes’ survey party
- 1836– John Gardiner, John Hepburn and Joseph Hawdon drive cattle through the area.
- 1837– John Gardiner establishes a settlement near the junction of the Yarra and Gardiners Creek.
– Gardiner’s homestead is called Kooyongkoot on surveyor Robert Hoddle’s plans.
- 1838– Boroondara Parish surveyed with creeks, squatters, timber cutters, tracks and possible roads on square mile plan.
– Name of area thought to be ‘taken from’ aboriginal word meaning “shady place” Booroondara, Borondara then later became known as Boroondara.
– More squatters arrive including Thomas Glass who settles near on Gardiner land north near the river (then even some bushrangers).
– Two aboriginal men, Tullamarine and Jin Jin, captured following an altercation and alleged theft of potatoes at Gardiner’s station.
- 1839– Land in and near Melbourne sold by the Crown.
– Gardiner worked with a bank, so he and his family had a Town house, land Keelbundoor and a station Mooroolbark with related Fletcher family.
– Yarra River floods unexpectedly.
- 1840– Gardiner’s first station near Gardiner’s creek is run by relative Edward Walpole (and George Gogs).
– Land first set aside as an Aboriginal Mission sold as Prahran Allotments north of the Gardiner’s creek or Toorak Road – the main south route to Town.
– Special Surveys announced in England – with blocks of 8 square miles or 5120 acres, offered to be sold for £1 per acre, including free passage to Australia.
- 1841– Henry Elgar’s Special Survey of Boroondara is gazetted
– Gardiner is the manager of Port Phillip Bank and revisited England. Land south of Gardiner’s creek is bought by Peter Ferrie, and mortgaged as Glen Ferrie.
- 1842– James Palmer commenced a punt service across the Yarra River
- 1843– First Government land sales in Boroondara: Twenty Crown Allotments are advertised for sale CA 13 is the most expensive (£7 an acre) as it most likely included Gardiner’s buildings.
– After complaints that Unwin and Elgar Surveys should be nearer the river and Town, Elgar’s west boundary (later Burke Road) moved west, changing the square mile pattern for nearby roads and allotments.
- 1847– Allotments to Gardiner’s Creek are sold
- 1848– Last of the first 50 Crown Allotments sold.
– Ormiston Girls’ School founded by Mrs Henderson & daughter Jessie in Lonsdale St Melbourne.
- 1849– Yarra River floods badly.
- 1850– Land in eastern parts of Boroondara and beyond, once occupied by licensed squatters becomes available for sale.
– Tenders advertised for a timber bridge over river. David Lennox is the Superintendent of Bridges.
- 1851– Victoria separates from NSW and Charles La Trobe becomes the first Governor.
– Bushfires in Victoria.
– Gold is found near Andersons Creek and Warrandyte dramatically increases traffic, land values, sales and population in Boroondara.
– A timber bridge replaces Richmond Punt.
- 1852– The Village of Hawthorne is laid out.
- 1853– The first school opens – the Common School in Hawthorn
- 1854– Boroondara Road District is proclaimed.
– Hartwell Congregational Church on Camberwell Road opens. The Village of Hartwell starts to develop.
- 1856– Boroondara District Road Board is formally established with elected members.
- 1857– The opening of Camberwell Inn at the junction of Burke and Camberwell roads which starts the development of the Village of Camberwell
- 1858– A Sketch of Boroondara written by James Bonwick is published.
– The opening of Thorncombe’s Hotel on Toorak Road which starts the development of the Village of Norwood.
– Boroondara: 941 house owners/occupiers.
– School conducted by Richard Hurry in Independent Church, Camberwell Road (known as Hartwell National School).
- 1859– First burial at Boroondara Cemetery in Kew.
- 1860– Hawthorn and Kew separate from Boroondara as Municipal districts.
– Crown Land set aside Glen Iris Mechanics’ Institute
– Yarra River floods.
- 1861– Official opening of the railway line extension in the Boroondara area. Hawthorn Station opened.
– Bridges constructed over the creeks near Burwood, Toorak and Oxley Roads.
– Crown Land set aside for Gardens, Glen Iris water reserve, Camberwell Common.
– South Bourke Standard weekly newspaper starts in May
- 1862– Horse cars to 5 mile post in Camberwell cost 3 pence.
- 1863– Yarra River flooding – 30 feet above average summer levels.
– Bonfires celebrate Prince of Wales wedding.
– St John’s Anglican Church opens.
- 1864– Post office service in Camberwell commences.
- 1865– Possible opening of Glen Iris School No 1148.
- 1866– Camberwell Primary School opened with 34 students
- 1867– 5 mile post destroyed by Camberwell Road.
– Hartwell Common School closed.
– Site of Camberwell Primary School gazetted.
– Camberwell Primary School opened.
- 1868– Camberwell Primary School No.888, 290 Camberwell Road opened on present site in 1868.
– St John’s Parsonage built.
- 1869– St John’s extended
– Floods again.
- 1870– Complaints of people swimming naked in river.
– Amalgamation with Hawthorn and Kew proposed by Camberwell.
- 1871– Remainder of Boroondara Road District becomes Shire of Boroondara.
– Water reaches Camberwell Junction.
– Camberwell Methodist Church and Manse, now Uniting Church – 300 & 316 Camberwell Road
- 1872– Construction of a Shire Hall at Camberwell for the Shire of Boroondara.
– Omnibus to Camberwell available.
- 1873– Beswicke bought land in Harcourt Street.
– Fritsch -Holzer-Spear brickworks on Camberwell Road extending.
- 1875– Camberwell Police Station established
- 1878– Yarra Floods.
- 1880– Floods again.
- 1881– Gas supplies are extended to Camberwell, Shire of Boroondara
- 1882– Railway line extended from Hawthorn to Camberwell – 4 stations and 31 steam trains per day.
– Camberwell Railway Station opened.
– Railway line extended from Camberwell to Lilydale
– Boroondara Standard in publication.
- 1885– Cable trams ran from river to Melbourne Town.
– The English, Scottish and Australian (E. S. & A.) Bank, Camberwell Junction built by Alfred George Moore and the architects were Wardell and Vernon.
- 1886– Horse tram ran to Kew cemetery. 130 trains per day to Camberwell.
– Ferries carried patrons to tea rooms near Gardiners Creek.
– AB Taylor founds a small school for boys at St John’s Anglican Church, Camberwell
– Camberwell Grammar School opened.
– Surrey Hills School No 2778 opened.
- 1887– Eminent architect John Beswicke’s house Rotha built.
- 1888– Railway duplicated to Box Hill.
– Grand hotels built: Glenferrie, Riversdale, Auburn, Palace and also Glenferrie Coffee Palace.
– Long two-storeyed terrace built near new Elgin Street Bridge.
– Population: Camberwell approximately 3000
- 1889– Local newspapers: Boroondara Standard, Express, Camberwell and Hawthorn Advertiser.
- 1890– Opening of new Hawthorn Town Hall designed by John Beswicke.
– Camberwell Post Office built.
– Opening of Glen Iris and Outer Circle Railway Lines.
- 1891– Camberwell Town Hall
– Southern portion of the Outer Circle Railway opened.
– Major flooding of the Yarra River.
– Many houses in streets now numbered.
– Gardiner’s Creek realigned and lined.
– Women’s suffragette petition.
- 1896– Fintona Girls’ School opened at 67 Mayston St, Hawthorn; moved to Burke Rd & Victoria St 1898; moved to Balwyn Rd 1935.
- 1897– Boroondara Standard ceases publication.
- 1902– The Shire of Boroondara is renamed the Shire of Boroondara and Camberwell
- 1905– The Shire of Boroondara and Camberwell is proclaimed a Borough.
– School leaving age raised.
- 1906– The Borough of Boroondara and Camberwell is proclaimed a Town.
– Lynden Park Scout Group established.
- 1908– Camberwell Grammar school moves to Burke Road, Camberwell
– Canterbury Primary School No 3572 opened.
- 1909– Arden built opposite St Mark’s at 1045 Burke Road, demolished 2016.
- 1910– Colles & Dew – History of Hawthorn and Book of Reference.
- 1913– Glenferrie Road electric tram from Malvern to Barkers Road.
– Gas lamps were removed from main roads, intersections, also street trees in Burke Road.
– Foundation stone for The Basilica of Our Lady of Victories
- 1914– The Town of Camberwell is proclaimed a city.
– Camberwell Grammar in Burke Road.
– World War One begins.
- 1915– Our Lady of Victories.
– Gardiner’s Creek channelled.
- 1916– Hawthorn Tramways Trust depot near Wallen Reserve land; tram first just to Power Street, then Riversdale Road, Wattle Valley, Highfield, Warrigal roads, with Wattle Park bought to tempt passengers; then down Camberwell Road to Toorak Road then to Burwood.
– Name Weinberg Road changes to Wattle Road, with anti-German feeling during war, also Hildebrandt and Karl.
– Major floods.
- 1917– Burke Road tram extended, later through Gardiner and to Cotham Road.
- 1918– Electric trams, trams shed upgraded.
– Opening of The Basilica of Our Lady of Victories
– World War One concludes
- 1919– Railway line raised by Glenferrie and Auburn stations and lowered to Camberwell.
– Camberwell Railway Station remodelled.
– First World War soldiers return
– Influenza hospital, in Glenferrie School’s newer building. Baths closed.
- 1920– “Dry Referendum” brings about the closure of all hotels in the City of Camberwell.
– Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board takes over Tramway Trust.
– Camberwell Girls Grammar established in the hall of St Mark’s Church in Camberwell.
– St Mark’s Church School 1920-1921 opened (Camberwell Girls’ Grammar School).
- 1921– Rivoli Picture Theatre built.
– Hartwell Primary School No 4055 opened.
- 1922– Box Hill and Kew railway line electrified. Plane trees are popular street trees and nature strips encouraged.
– Joint garbage destructor near Gardiners Creek for Cities of Hawthorn, Kew and Camberwell.
- 1923– Major flooding of Yarra River.
– Commercial Bank manager shot by Sqizzy Taylor.
- 1924– Strathcona Girls Grammar School opened at 34 Scott St, Canterbury.
– Foundation stone laid Dominican church school Camberwell East; opened Oct 1924.
- 1925– Camberwell Masonic Temple 12 Prospect Hill Road
– Consecration of The Basilica of Our Lady of Victories
- 1926– Burke Road river bridge rebuilt. Tram along Riversdale Road duplicated to Wattle Valley Road.
– Motor bus operated from Canterbury to Richmond via Liddiard Street and Grace Park.
– Discontinuation of passenger service on northern section of Outer Circle Railway.
– Bridge Road bridge strengthened for electric trams.
– Camberwell Girls Grammar purchased “Torrington” and opened in the new premises the following year.
- 1927– Camberwell Free Press published.
- 1928– War Memorial built in park (now St James Park). Illawarra Road south reserve.
– East Camberwell Domestic Arts School later East Camberwell Girls’ School, East Camberwell Girls’ Secondary School, Camberwell Girls’ High School, Canterbury Girls’ High School, Canterbury Girls’ Secondary College (Mangarra) opened.
– Chatham Primary School No 4314 opened.
– Ashburton Primary School No 4317 opened.
- 1930– Chandler Highway opens to traffic.
– Unemployed men levelling Burke Road south. Anderson Road, Gardiners Creek, Wallen Road Reserve.
– Plague of rats.
- 1934– The City of Camberwell is divided into 4 wards.
– Camberwell Grammar Canterbury campus is established with the purchase of the landmark mansion, ‘Roystead’.
– Floods destroy Hawthorn Rowing Club’s and Xavier boatsheds, and Kanes’ Bridge, so Yarra Dam work.
– N. Smith’s manuscript ‘A History of Hawthorn to 1934’ was typed.
- 1935– Cairn erected by Hawthorn City Council commemorates building of the first dwelling in Hawthorn by John Gardiner in 1836.
– Ashburton Methodist Church and Sunday School opened.
- 1937– Kildonian Homes for Children occupies Elgar Rd Burwood property.
- 1939– Black Friday bushfires across Victoria.
– Camberwell Court House and Police Station, 311-317 Camberwell Road, by Percy Everett
– World War Two starts.
– Blessing & opening of Siena Dominican Convent, Camberwell by Dr Mannix.
- 1940– New Rivoli theatre opened.
– Lights dimmed, blackout blinds, ration books.
– Siena College opened in Camberwell.
- 1941– Air raid slit trenches built in public gardens during war years.
– Camberwell High school.
– Camberwell High School opened.
- 1942– All Hallows Catholic primary School opened by Sisters of St Joseph.
- 1945– World War Two concludes.
– Yooralla Hospital School for Crippled Childre buys land in Balwyn “Windsor Lodge”.
- 1946– Housing Commission of Victoria estate in Ashburton started.
– Progress Press published.
- 1948– Alamein Railway station opened at Ashburton.
- 1950– Darling East School No 4641 opened; name changed to Solway 3 Jun 1955.
- 1954– Balwyn High School opened (official opening date of Feb delayed because of flooding).
– Koonung State School opened; renamed Boroondarra 1956; merged with Boroondara North No 4960 to form Boroondara Park.
- 1955– St John’s Anglican church destroyed by arson.
- 1956– Barry Humphries – sandy Stone “the sage of Glen Iris”
- 1957– St John’s new church building reopened.
- 1963– Camberwell Historical Society established.
– Camberwell Post Office building from1890 demolished.
- 1964– Geoffrey Blainey – A History of Camberwell published.
- 1965– Ormiston Girls’ School and Camberwell Girls’ Grammar School merge classes.
- 1968– Boroondara North Primary School No 4960 opened.
- 1969– Opening of the new City of Camberwell municipal office
- 1977– Methodist Church becomes Uniting Church
- 1980– Camberwell grammar purchases ‘Norge’ to become the junior school.
- 1989– Boroondara Park Primary School formed by merger Boroondara Primary No 4724 and Boroondara North Primary School No 4960.
- 1994– City of Camberwell merges with Kew and Hawthorn to create City of Boroondara. Possibly to be called Riversdale – but Boroondara apparently recommended by former MP Walter Jona, and confirmed just before his death.
- 1995– Double trams now travel to Burwood. New wards created within Boroondara.
– Erasmus College, Riversdale Road.
- 1996– Optus overhead cables extended. Boroondara Urban Character Study completed.
- 1998– Some reserves designated as off-lead spaces for dogs.
– Flying foxes to leave Botanical gardens, perhaps to go to Alphington, and seen nearer river in Boroondara.
– Newly renovated Rivoli Picture Theatre in Camberwell Road opens.
- 2001– Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar extending Tay Creggan, also Rossbourne School.
- 2002– Indigenous Heritage Study, Boroondara Council.
- 2003– My Neighbourhood Plan – centres for future development outlined.
– Significant Tree Study 2001-2003, Boroondara Council.
- 2004– Hawthorn Streets Index, by Gwen McWilliam revised
- 2008– The Well, multi-storey shopping and residential complex opens.
- 2010– Stockland’s mix-use Tooronga Village Complex opens.
- 2011– Camberwell Junction and Glenferrie development.
– City of Boroondara – Thematic Environmental History, by Built Heritage.
– All Hallows Catholic primary School closed.
- 2012– Aerial Project, high-rise apartments Camberwell Junction.
– Renovation of English, Scottish and Australian Bank built 1885 – restaurant Meat & Wine Co.
- 2016– Renovations to the façade of The Basilica of Our Lady of Victories